Saturday 18 December 2010

MOT Time

Yesterday was the big day. I put the car through it's MOT, I knew it would fail, but we wanted to know how much work was going to be needed.

There were a few surprises, and not necessarily bad ones either.

I thought the headlamps would fail, but they didn't, they didn't even need adjusting. So immediately I saved £200 on replacement units. Here's a list of the failures:

Exhaust not secured properly
No indicators
No windscreen washer
Brakes not efficient enough
Handbrake not connected
Fuel line not secured properly
No horn
Rear coil springs not correctly located
Hazard warning light switch faulty
Excessive corrosion to rear chassis offside and nearside

Basically, all pretty minor stuff except for the welding, which I anticipate will cost around £400. There is other welding work that isn't an MOT failure but I'll probably get dome at the same time. I honestly thought there would be far more serious problems, and as far as I'm concerned it's the next best thing to a pass. I'm over the moon about it.

Here's a quick picture taken of it on my drive. It's still really mind blowing to think that three months ago this car was in Michigan, and I was considering this whole project. Now it's here, has crossed an ocean and it looks more possible than ever that it really will make it to the Sierra Nevada Desert.


Updates on the MOT in the new year, but it's all pretty straight forward from here on in I hope.

Over and out......

3 comments:

  1. Any idea what the mpg is on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, about 17 to the gallon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome project, Im going to follow it! You are most welcome to Stockholm. Do you know where the original timelord car is today?

    ReplyDelete